Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever before have numerous scientific breakthroughs and new techniques emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides millions of people the opportunity to lower or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgery as the painless and quick way to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to help make sure that you will be delighted with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medication is an educated patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be tricked by elegant advertisements about a particular laser center. Choose the medical professional, not the laser center. Learn who will really do your procedure, then ask about that physician's certifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Choose a doctor who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a doctor doesn't know can hurt you.
4. Request info on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. Discover another one if your physician won't tell you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what steps are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is visit here thoroughly sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount rate parachute.
Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. Go elsewhere. You're not purchasing a cars and truck; this is real LASIK look at more info eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely offer much better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has their website actually enhanced the eyesight of countless individuals all over the world.